"There is no more significant work in this world than the preparation of boys to become men of capacity, of strength, of integrity, who are qualified to live productive and meaningful lives." -Gordon B. Hinckley
Now to the point of this post. When Shiloh received this calling as second counselor in the young men's presidency and I realized he would be going camping a lot I realized I would have to have strategy. Some where ingrained in my soul is the belief that you should be doing something fun on Friday nights, it doesn't always have to be big but it has to be different from every other night. So here is my rough strategy, dinner and movie night. Two rules I don't make dinner and we would pick out a family movie, one the kids and I could watch together. So far it had been a good distraction from Shiloh being gone and the girls think it is a lot of fun. We have been trying to figure out a good name for this night. You know like "girls night" but it can't be all about girls because Gideon is with us or anything to do with family because we are missing Shiloh and he is a very important part of our family. So a name still eludes me but if you have any clever ideas send them my way. Well any ways back to the point. Shiloh left to join the boys at scout camp early this morning and sense we have been in the house most this week I
decided to make today's events a little bigger then normal. Gideon got this book for Christmas called "My First BYU Book" among other things it has pictures of place and things all over BYU campus. A few months ago I conceived this idea of going to BYU and seeing if we could find all the things in the book (I of course knew were all of them were). The girls thought this was a great idea. So today was the lucky day and here of some pics of BYU through my children eyes.First we went to the new Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni Building. I hadn't seen it and I was interested in seeing the new building.

This was the cool race car inside Visitors Center of the Alumni Building.
The Girls decided they needed to take some pictures too, they did a really good job. So here is Lizzy's picture
and here is ShiAnne's picture.
The kids found a few things along the way that interested them. My girls just love throwing pennies in fountains. Lizzy's and ShiAnne wanted to know what this red thing was? I told them it was art. They didn't believe me. Lizzy said, "No it's not it is not on paper, mom." I told them it was a sculpture and that was a type of art. I still don't think they believed me.

If you are going to experience BYU on a hot day, you had better have some ice cream from the Creamery. If you went to BYU you know all the booths they always have set up just outside the Book Store on the west side of the Wilk, that is were this picture is taken.
After the creamery we went to the Bean Museum of Life. Gideon was just glad to get out of the stroller but he was moving so much the only time I could get a picture of him is when he tripped over his own feet and fell.
My ladies at the "Bean"

My little herd at the "watering hole"
So now you know what BYU looks like through my children's eyes. It may be a new perspective on it for you.
After BYU we still made a quick trip to Target, Stopped at Cafe Rio to pick up dinner. (This was my kids choice for dinner but I kind of felt bad for going there with out Shiloh because he likes it so much too.) Then to Hollywood video to rent some movies and finally home to sit down and veg -out. I do have to give props to my kids today they were awesome, just one tiny melt down from Lizzy. I think it gave me the confidence to do some more days like this.
3 comments:
Sounds like fun. I want to go back to BYU when I am visiting. Are you trying to raise little BYU kids too? My girls already know that when they go to college it should be BYU! Ashling and Ali cheer for BYU and I hope they go there.
Yes we are trying to raise little cougars but when we went to Idaho we drove pass the new Rexburg temple which happens to be right next to BYU Idaho's campus. I told the girls they could also go to that school and ShiAnne thought that going there and living by the farm would be the most wounderful thing. Sense then Lizzy has decided she needs to go where ever ShiAnne goes.
Congrats on the day out with the kids. It sounds like it was a great success. I don't think I will be doing anything like that anytime soon though.
Post a Comment